Recognized by the Princeton Review as one of America’s Top 100 Internships, the Widmeyer Communications fellowship program is designed to give recent college graduates insight and “hands-on” experience in the working world of public affairs and public relations.
Widmeyer Communications’ fellowship program is for recent college graduates with prior knowledge and understanding of the profession. The program helps these individuals gain practical experience by working directly on issues they may have studied in school and may wish to pursue in their search for a permanent position in public affairs/public relations. Fellowships are available in the following practice groups: PreK-12, Higher Education, Public Affairs, Health and Wellness, and Creative/Digital Media.
Many Widmeyer Communications staff members have participated in similar programs during and after college and understand the need and benefit of having meaningful and practical job training. Our staff is whole-heartedly committed to providing opportunities for graduates and making the Widmeyer fellowship a valuable and worthwhile experience.
Our programs are designed to give participants the opportunity to experience all areas of the media relations consulting business.
Those areas include:
- Writing for media – media advisories, press releases, pitch letters, etc.;
- Writing for clients – explanatory memos, topic research, media project analysis;
- Assisting with the media promotion of events, reports, radio & TV satellite feeds, PSAs, client public policy positions, news conferences, and congressional testimony;
- Learning to meet client needs and developing interpersonal skills with co-workers through exposure to a fast-paced office environment;
- Participating in strategy and planning sessions internally and with clients to map out the best communications techniques to employ on our client’s behalf; and
- Assisting with general business operations, including work on billing, routine office responsibilities, and vendor liaison.
Widmeyer Communications’ fellowship program is for recent college graduates with experience in journalism, media relations, political science, marketing, or communications.
The firm’s regular office hours are 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and all fellows are required to work these hours unless a part-time arrangement is made.
We expect each fellow to complete all assigned tasks, seek out guidance on projects, and experience every facet of our operation.
A stipend of $600 a week plus health insurance benefits and a metro subsidy is offered to fellows on a monthly basis.
If you are interested in applying for a fellowship, please send a cover letter indicating your interest and availability, a brief writing sample (one to two pages), and your resume to:
Attn: Human Resources